Borrowing from Us:
- Who Can Borrow Library Materials?
- Where Can I Return Materials?
- Renewing Books
- Recalling Books
- Get it! requests
- Length of Loan and Fine information
- Theft of and Damage to Library Materials
Looking to make requests from other libraries?
Active Faculty, Staff and Students of the University of Pittsburgh with a VALID ID card may borrow books: No other form of identification is accepted. (Your ID card is your library card.) If you have not yet received your ID card, you may go to Panther Central in the Litchfield Towers lobby to get your card.
If you are not affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh, there are several options available to you to obtain borrowing privileges. Please click here to see if you are eligible.
Most Circulation functions are available in All ULS Libraries. Some circulation services must be performed by full-time staff. If you plan to visit a ULS Library late night or on weekends, please call ahead to make sure the services you require will be available
If you are a student from another school and are cross registered at the University of Pittsburgh for the current academic term please contact the Hillman Library Lending Desk to obtain the necessary information for access to your ULS library account. 412-648-7800
Please remember that ID cards are not transferable.
- You are responsible for all materials checked out on your ID and any fees or damages incurred until the item is returned.
- ID cards and responsibility are not transferable, do not loan your ID or borrowed items to others. Also, do not depend on others to return items for you.
- Report a lost or stolen ID immediately to the University ID Center 412-624-7643. Also report it to the Hillman Library lending desk. 412-648-7800.
- It is the responsibility of the borrower to note the time or date that the material is due. Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy. Failure to receive these notices does not remove the borrower's obligation to return material by the due date, nor does it constitute grounds for reducing a borrower's fines.
- If you receive overdue notices for materials that you believe have been returned, contact the ULS library specified on the notice or the Hillman Library lending desk. 412-648-7800
- The borrowing of any materials from the ULS constitutes agreement by the borrower to abide by the rules and regulations of the ULS borrowing policies. Please note: you are responsible for knowing the ULS borrowing policies.
*State privacy law (PA ACT 1984-90, section 428) prohibits ULS staff from releasing any information concerning your library records without proper ID (your Pitt ID). Also, we cannot release information to a third party acting as your representative.Return to Top
Where can I return library materials?
Materials borrowed from any ULS Library can be returned to any other ULS library on campus. We also have courtesy discharge for non-ULS libraries, although we cannot renew books from these libraries
Falk (Scaife Hall)
Nursing (Learning Resources Center)
Please make all returns directly to the circulation desk . Most ULS libraries have book return bins when closed.
For address information, please contact Hillman Library at (412) 648-7800.Return to Top
Telephone renewals are available during regular Hillman Library hours. When calling to renew, please have the following information ready:
- Your University of Pittsburgh ID card or Special Borrowers Card number.
- The barcode numbers of the books you wish to renew.
Privacy laws prohibit us from releasing information concerning your records over the telephone, so please have the above information ready when you call.
Telephone renewal restrictions: Books that
circulate for four weeks may be renewed up to three times. Books
that circulate for two weeks can only be renewed once. Special
Borrowers may renew their books once for another two weeks.
To renew your books online using PITTCat:
- connect to PITTCat+,
the online catalog of the University of Pittsburgh libraries
- choose My Account
- enter your University Computing Account (email) username and password. Special Borrowers Card holders enter the number on your library card located above the barcode and last name. Click OK
- a list of titles charged to your account appears. Click
the checkbox under the Renew? column next to those titles
you want to renew. Click Renew Items.
- confirm that all books were actually renewed.
- You may also request to have books renewed by presenting
your ID card at any one of the ULS
- Patrons can also access any outstanding fines, requests,
or verify their current mailing address.
- If you want to verify your renewals or have questions
about online renewals please call 412-648-7800.
Online renewal restrictions: Books that circulate for four weeks may be renewed up to three times. Books that circulate for two weeks can only be renewed once. Special Borrowers may renew their books once for another two weeks. Note: Items whose renewal limit has been reached, will return a "Not Renewed" message. Also, if you have more than ten items overdue, have fines in excess of $25.00, or if your registration has expired, you will not be able to renew online.
Faculty Term Loan Renewals
The new faculty loan policy is a term loan with unlimited renewals.
To renew your term loan books online using PITTCat:
- Log onto PITTCat+
- Click on My Account
- enter your University Computing Account (email) username and password. Click OK.
- Check each box next to the item that you want to renew and then click the RENEW ITEMS button
- Confirm that all books were actually renewed.
- You may also request to have books renewed by presenting your ID card at any one of the ULS Libraries.
Online renewal restrictions: Books that circulate for four weeks may be renew up to three times. Books that circulate for two weeks can only be renewed once. Special borrowers may renew their books once for another two weeks. Note: Items whose renewal limit has been reached, will return a "Not Renewed" message.
Note: A generally faster alternative to recall is to use the EZ-Borrow system. E-ZBorrow Lets you search and request books from other Pennsylvania libraries. Books are generally delivered within 4-7 days. You will be notified via email when the book is available for pickup.
- All ULS items are subject to recall after two weeks
- Health Sciences Library System (HSLS) materials may not be recalled
- Items recalled for course reserve are subject to immediate recall as are books that have been checked out for more than two weeks
- The fine rate for unreturned recalled items is $1.00 per day per item
- There is no grace period for overdue recalled materials
To recall an item:
- Find the checked out item in PITTCat+ you want.
- Click the Get it! button at the top of the page. Follow the on screen prompts.
Get it! lets everyone request delivery of books...
- from any ULS library (excludes Health Sciences Library System (HSLS) libraries and Barco Law Library)
- from our STORAGE location
- from our regional campuses
...to the library nearest your location
Get it! lets faculty use Libraries to Go to:
- request delivery of books and journal articles to office locations
To use Get it!:
- Find the not checked out item in PITTCat+ you want.
- Click the Get it! link in the record.
- Log in and follow the on-screen instructions to request your item.
Theft of and Damage to Library Materials
Theft, damage, or destruction of library materials and furnishings are prohibited. Theft of library materials is prohibited by Pennsylvania law (Title 18, 3929.1) Persons who damage or destroy library property may be subject to disciplinary review, which could result in a reprimand, loss of privileges, replacement fees, probation or suspension. Damage to library materials includes, but is not limited to: spillage from food and drink; writing in the margins; and underlining in pencil, pen, or other markers.