Japan Information Service (JIS)
Japan Information Service
University Library System
East Asian Library Hillman Library
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
- Description of Services and Resources
- Information Request Form
- Feedback Form
- East Asian Library Japanese Collection
- LibGudies to Japanese Studies
- Japanese Commnunity
The Japan Information Service (JIS) at the East Asian Library of the University Library System is happy to provide a variety of information on Japan to help people with their research. The service was established in 1996 as a collaborative effort between the University of Pittsburgh and the Japan Center for Intercultural Communication (JCIC) in Tokyo. Since 1999 the service has been co-supported by the University Library System and the Asian Studies Center. Its services are available to anyone who needs information regarding Japan, with priority given to students, faculty, staff, and alumni of the University of Pittsburgh, and community users from the Greater Pittsburgh region.
The service provides reference consultations in broad subject areas such as economics, politics and government policies, business and industries, culture, language, and so on. In addition, librarians and staff at JIS assist Pitt-affiliated users in interlibrary loan and document delivery from Japan.
For example, we could answer these kinds of questions:
- Where can I find a haiku that depicts the joyfulness of drawing the
picture of flowers ?
- What is the population of Iwate prefecture, according to the last census?
- What is the statistics on inter-racial marriages in Japan from post-war era until present?
- How and where can I obtain Nikkei editorials of August 15 from 1946 to 1981?
Just ask! Visit us on your next trip to Hillman.