(*Please note: research databases are for current students, staff, and faculty at the University of Pittsburgh. If you are at an off-campus computer, you must log in here to be able to use these licensed resources.)
- Business and Company Resource Center* This database draws its information from print sources such as the International Directory of Company Histories and Notable Corporate Chronologies. These are the key sources for company histories.
- National Newspapers* Provides full text access to the Wall Street Journal, among other major newspapers
- Mergent Online* (note the “history” tab)
- Read a company's annual report or visit their website to see if a history is included. (Note that these company histories are produced by the company itself. Always take this perspective into account when evaluating the information.)
- Mergent Web Reports* provides online access to the Moody’s Manuals, The entries include brief histories of public companies.
- Search for books that contain corporate histories. Books about a company often include historical background. Do a keyword search in PITTCat+ to find any books in the University of Pittsburgh libraries which cover your company's history.
- Use Global Books In Print* or WorldCat* to identify books outside of Pitt’s library system. You can request these books here: Requests From Other Libraries.
- Search for articles in business and trade magazines or journals. Sometimes major news event articles will provide a brief company history.
Books from the Reference Collection
Mergent / Moody's Manuals
This multi-volume set includes a brief history in each entry. Some histories, however, are extremely brief. Public companies only.
BUSINESS LIBRARY - Reference
HILLMAN LIBRARY - Reference (HG4961 M67)
Please Note: Current and historic Moody's Manuals are available online through the database Mergent Web Reports*. These volumes are an excellent resource for historical facts and figures. Historic print volumes are located in our storage facility. Please ask us for assistance.
International Directory of Company Histories
Provides extensive histories on over 6,850 companies. Most companies included have a minimum of $25 million in annual sales and are leading influences in their industries or geographical locations. Most are public companies, but some private and non-profit corporations are included. Use the cumulative index in the latest volume available to see if your company is profiled or mentioned anywhere in the series.
BUSINESS LIBRARY - Reference (HD2721 I63)
HILLMAN LIBRARY - Reference (HD2721 I63)
(Please Note: this content is also available in Business and Company Resource Center*)
Notable Corporate Chronologies
A collection of chronologies for over 1,500 corporations. Each timeline lists and briefly describes 30 or more key dates that mark major events in a corporation's life story. Included are dates for founding, major product introductions, tenures of pivotal executives, major scandals, mergers and acquisitions, and major stock offerings.
HILLMAN LIBRARY - Reference (HG4009 .N68) Please Note: this content is also available in Business and Company Resource Center*
Capital Changes Report: Lists key events in the history of a corporation's stock.
BUSINESS LIBRARY - Reference
F & S Index
An index to articles in many business and trade magazines. The print version of this index is arranged such that you can look up a company's name and obtain a list of all reported events and activities of that company for a given year.
BUSINESS LIBRARY - Journals (1990-2008 )
Wall Street Journal Index
An index to articles in The Wall Street Journal. This index is arranged such that you can look up a company's name and obtain a list of all reported events and activities of that company for a given year. Issues back to 1970 are available.
BUSINESS LIBRARY – Journals