The ASC is pleased to announce the release of the John P. Murtha Congressional Papers website and collection. The Murtha Papers comprise the contents of 400 boxes of newspaper clippings, reports, meeting notes, correspondence, daily schedules, personal notes, hundreds of photos, more than 1,000 film and audio items, and more than 1,000 gifts and awards given to Murtha as a tribute to his service to his country—all donated to Pitt by Joyce Murtha, the Congressman’s widow, in 2010. Read the press release for more information.
Today the ASC released a website devoted to the life of Elsie Hillman (1925-2015). Visitors can learn more about her work and influence in the political arena as well as at home in the Pittsburgh commuity. The papers that she recently donated to the archives are now open for research use. They comprise over a hundred boxes of manuscript, photographic, and audio-visual material in addition to political memorabilia.
We just completed processing the Papers of Frances Hesselbein, a Pitt alumnus who is a prominent leader in the world of leadership and nonprofit management, having served as the National Executive Director of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America for nearly fifteen years. She is currently the President and CEO of the Frances Hesselbein Leadership Institute. A recent article in the Pitt Chronicle highlights Ms. Hesselbein's career and accomplishments.
The professional materials of Pittsburgh-born jazz pianist Erroll Garner have been given to the Archives Service Center. The materials include correspondence, performance and recording contracts, photographs, sheet music, awards, sound and video recordings, and memorabilia. We will soon be at work preparing this collection for access! Please see the Pitt Press release for more information.
The ASC just mounted its latest exhibit on the ground floor of Hillman Library: "Get to The Point!" It features 21 images of The Point over the last 250 years, and includes several conceptual designs of what The Point could have looked like. If you can’t go in person, check out the accompanying exhibit website.
Users now have online access to two digitized microfilm collections: Birmingham United Church of Christ Records and the Pittsburgh, Pa. Department of Public Safety. Bureau of Building Inspection Records. Both of these collections receive enormous in-house use that we decided to digitize them for broader access.
Now available on Documenting Pitt: The Pittsburgh Undergraduate Review (1981-2013), a publication of the University of Pittsburgh Honors College, is a national, professionally refereed journal that focuses on undergraduate college scholarship. Its mission is to provide an outlet for outstanding research papers from undergraduate students in all fields of study and focuses on articles of an analytical and nonliterary nature.
We added the Charles Richardson Photographs to Historic Pittsburgh, which capture industrial scenes at Westinghouse in East Pittsburgh and the U.S. Steel Company's Homestead Works, as well as street scenes in the neighborhoods of Downtown, the Hill District, Polish Hill, Squirrel Hill, and the Southside between 1952 and 1954. According to Richardson, only the 46 images presented online were kept over the years, believing they best represented "some of the best days of Pittsburgh."
We digitized and added to Documenting Pitt issues of Manuscripts, Writing at the University of Pittsburgh, originally called Student Writing, which was a magazine produced by the English Department of the University of Pittsburgh (1947-1977). It consisted mainly of student short stories and essays but later included some done by others. Among the notable editors and advisors are Edwin L. Peterson and Storm Jameson.
We digitized and added to Documenting Pitt issues of the Skyscraper Engineer which was the official magazine of the undergraduates of the University of Pittsburgh School of Engineering, now known as the Swanson School of Engineering. It was published quarterly from 1951-1987, and then periodically until 1991. It was produced and edited by the school’s undergraduate students.
We added the Robert G. Pflaum Slide Collection (375 images) to Historic Pittsburgh. The Pflaum slides focuses on streetcar routes through downtown Pittsburgh, its neighborhoods, and surrounding areas, including the South Hills, Dormont, and Castle Shannon; railroad views of other parts of western Pennsylvania, such as the Horseshoe Curve in Altoona, Johnstown, and Colliers, West Virginia are also included.
We mounted a new exhibit on the ground floor of Hillman Library that showcases 18 photographs selected from our collections that feature historic images of Oakland between 1908-1972. The exhibit, “Oakland: A Look Back Over the 20th Century,” is also available online with more descriptive information about the images. It provides a glimpse into the past while hinting at changes that would eventually lead to the development of Oakland as a hub of medical, cultural, and educational significance known well beyond Pittsburgh. Included in the exhibit is a map from 1910 produced by the G.M. Hopkins Company which depicts the layout of Oakland.
We recently released over a dozen scanned street railway company histories, mostly published by W.C. Farnsworth of the Pittsburgh Railways Company between 1901-1923, to Historic Pittsburgh. They document the history of the Consolidated Traction Company, East Pittsburgh and Wilmerding Street Railway Company, Wilkinsburg and East Pittsburgh Street Railway Company, Monongahela Street Railway Company, Pittsburg Railways Company, Pittsburgh and Birmingham Traction Company, Southern Traction Company, and the United Traction Company of Pittsburgh. Other transit related texts were also scanned.
Available in Documenting Pitt and dating to the 19th century, the College Journal (35 issues) was the first known publication of the University that was edited by the students and whose audience included students, alumni and others in the University community. Its purpose was to develop the talents of English composition and Journalism students. Most of the articles were written by students although some were re-published from other college papers. The College Journal began publishing monthly in October 1869, but between 1874 and 1879 it apparently stopped publishing regularly. The first issue of 1879 was published under the auspices of the University’s two literary societies: the Irving Society and the Philomathean Society. The University Archives holds scattered issues of Volumes 1-5 (1869-1874) and Volume 9 (1879-1880), which are all now digitized.